Open?

Saturday, March 7, 2009 at 2:07 AM
An interesting thought..

Today at a party that G took me too, we were talking with some of her friends. One of the guys, C said that he had applied to Berkeley but didn't like it because they were very close-minded. The NorCal-ians of the group disagreed immediately, and discussion ensued. One girl said, "I feel like if you're liberal at all then you'll fit in at Berkeley", to which the guy responded, "But what if you're not?"

"Isn't that being close-minded then?"





What an interesting thought. I think I agree with the boy....Berkeley is more accurately liberal, not open. Thoughts anyone?

4 comments

  1. Benjamin Says:

    agreed. people have a tendency to equate open minded with liberal

  2. Crystal Says:

    it's kind of how people equate being atheist with being open-minded? When really it's just another set of beliefs not unlike religion itself..

  3. Says:

    I think people usually associate Berkeley with being the "democratic crazies". And haha there is some truth to that since a lot of people at Berkeley are very voiced about their liberal views. And I agree about the whole "liberal" association with "open-mindedness" and how that can be hypocritical at times (like what Ben said about the backlash for people voting for McCain), but it's not like the whole city here scrutinizes what beliefs you have. It's not like people who aren't "liberal" don't fit in here. One of the things I like most about Berkeley is how many different people I've met from different places and how accepting most people have been of what they have to say. The whole "liberal" and not open thing isn't just specific to Berkeley.

  4. Says:

    OH! And I forgot to say on your Tidal Waves post but the Boston skyline is SO pretty! I have it as part of my desktop :)