Ranting Day, On Accident

Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 9:20 AM
So I am currently sitting in my Intro to Psychology as a Natural Science class, and I must say Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12-1:15 has officially become my most unfavorite part of the week. It's not so much that the content is uninteresting-on the contrary, it's very intriguing to get a biological background for all those silly psychological theories that I learned about last semester. I think I am biased though...The teacher was my advisor during orientation and also during schedule sign ups, and he was completely and utterly useless. He speaks really slowly and stutters, and speaks as if we're 5 and don't understand anything. During signups, he refused to let me type myself, insisting on using his 2 index fingers to slowly tap at the keys while the other students around me speedily entered their courses and got the schedules that they actually wanted. He also refused to let me sign up for the classes that I wanted, saying that they were definitely full and I shouldn't waste my time. UMM. YEAH.

So yeah, aside from the previous dislike, I guess he's not a bad human being. He's nice, he tries to make the lectures funny and he probably actually does know the material he's teaching. The problem lies in his communication of these ideas, using extremely wordy powerpoint slides that he cycles through way too fast for us to write down anything, other times spending much too much time on one slide that explains something that I had assumed was basic knowledge. Basically, he's kind of just a dinosaur.

Okay, I'm done ranting about psych. something else that has been on my mind lately though...Since coming to Boston College I have met a lot of different types of people. Some I've really enjoyed the company of....others...well let's just say I've never met anybody creepier. Now, there is one specific person who actively forces his way into my life, and while it's not so bad anymore, he used to deliberately make me uncomfortable when we were in the same vicinity, to the point that I felt uncomfortable making conversation with others or looking around as I normally do.

Now keep in mind, I am not specifically mean to him either. When he waves hi, I wave back. When he asks me questions, I answer. However, I will not wave excitedly, nor will I answer at length or in great detail. Basically, while I am not mean to him, I am not particularly nice or friendly either. This has caused a lot of our mutual "friends" (if you can call them mutual...) to give me shit for being "so mean" to him. This coming from guys who actively make fun of him to their face, while they think he doesn't know what's going on. This coming from guys who use him as some sort of social joke to provide entertainment for them when they are bored. Aside from the obvious hypocrisy, it also really bothers me that they feel the need to impart their "wisdom" on me.

I tolerate him. I am not too mean. I do not generally ignore his existence. So I've wondered a lot...why should I go out of my way to be nice to somebody who makes me feel like when he looks at me, he is somewhat undressing me with his eyes? I know this reaction is not unreasonable; every other freshmen girl who has interacted with him (he's a sophomore) feels exactly the same. It's as if he feels like since we're younger, we won't realize what a fucking sleazebag he is, and therefore somehow be ignorant to the clear lack of social skills and be swept off our feet or something. Why should I put up with somebody who makes me so unhappy and uncomfortable? People tell me I should be nicer...but basically, why should I be nice to somebody who doesn't deserve this? Now maybe the "kinder" people out there will feel uncomfortable with this conclusion, and feel it necessary to perhaps reprimand me for being a bitch, but honestly? I don't really care. I think my personal comfort (in a reasonable sense) comes first in priority to making other people feel good. And I refuse to tell him that it's okay for him to stalk me and my friends around campus, at parties, and take pictures of us when we're not looking. UGH, whatever, he's a creep.



This class is finally almost over. We're talking about the low asian tolerance for alcohol, and how apparently it's because asians are more likely to have a variant of a gene that metabolizes alcohol into a toxin, therefore leading asians with this gene to drink much less than caucasians, and even other asians. Does this explain asian glow? haha. I'm very hungry, and my stomach is growling extremely loudly...I hope nobody around me can hear it :X I'm actually in a good mood today, I promise. I've just been thinking about these things over the past few days and finally felt like blogging about it haha.


More on my recent confusion and the weather later.

2 comments

  1. chery Says:

    WHAT A CREEP. i'm scared for you, i hope you're carrying some pepper spray around with you haha

  2. Paulina Says:

    eeew, creepers. basically what Chery said. also, if he tries anything, you can put Ms. Vincent's skills to use! "BACK OFF! WHAT DO YOU WANT?" "I HAVE AIDS, AND I'M PREGNANT, AND I'M ON MY PERIOD!"
    isn't it so awkward when your stomach growls during lecture! then everyone looks at you funny and you're like sorry, I'm hungry, I can't help it. then they get all annoyed until it happens to them too. awesome.