Happy New Years!

Sunday, January 25, 2009 at 8:18 PM
Happy Chinese New Years all! Although I never paid particular attention to this holiday before (except for the red envelopes of course :D), now that I'm far away from home, it seems much more important. All my Asian friends called home today, some are going home for the giant dinners and what not. I guess being in an environment that's so less Asian than I'm used to, I end up feeling a lot more Asian than ever before, if that makes sense. Also, the cute old chinese man at the dining hall cashier said happy new year's to me when I got dinner....hehehe. And my parents like to skype me now :) and they have also found this blog haha. Hi mom, hi dad.

So...Boston College is kind of a shit show. If I choose not to drink, then I end up witnessing the drunk messes that I usually run by on Friday and Saturday nights. Which is entertaining, I guess. Until the girl next to me on the bus throws up. Until I'm tired. etc.etc. Drinking too much does make me really tired; I don't particularly enjoy hangovers, although I don't think anybody does. Just an interesting note...I guess there's not much else to do in Boston haha. And it's WAY too cold to be running around outside.

On a side note, I watched a Pink Floyd synchronized laser light show last Friday in the city...which was AMAZING. I mean, of course everybody in the planetarium had a little help being happy, but the show was really ridiculous. They played the entire dark side of the moon album, and we shot through space, and honestly, it was great. If anybody reading goes to Boston, you should go check it out at the Museum of Science. They also have this cool mythical creatures exhibit that I kind of want to see...hehe. I'm a nerd at heart.

Also, I never really noticed the impact that dance and choir had on me. Until I started teaching this dance haha...shh. I guess that I am really conscious of my body and its parts, and the way I move? If that makes any sense haha. I can tell when my body feels really awkward and how to fix it (which I thought was normal, but I've received proof otherwise haha). I can imitate a pose or move rather easily, and I listen to music more carefully. I can pick up key changes in songs, mimic them, and I guess my general "musicality" is above average? or I hope so at least. Anyway, I don't really know how to describe the specific effects, but I am very thankful for the way that dance and singing changed me :)

ALSO, a dilemma. SO I've always had an appreciation for nice kicks (thanks a lot, george. haha) and I wanted a pair of high top nike dunks. I picked out the one I like, and looked around for the cheapest, and found an Ebay-esque site that had it for $60, which obviously excited me since its like $100 everywhere else. I clicked purchase to see how much shipping and tax was, and APPARENTLY ITS A BINDING CLICK, so regardless of the fact that I had not given payment info, since I created an account in order to see the complete cost, I was now "legally bound" to pay for the shoes. So regardless of the fact that I was about to buy it from a different site, I'd bought this one on accident instead. Which I thought was okay at the time, but several days later i realize...
1. the user is from china
2. somebody else had asked if the shoes were real, and he had commented on their personal pages saying no.
SO UMMMM. WTF. too late, he's shipped them, and will only give me a partial refund ($30) if i ship them back to china (which is another $20-30), so itd basically be like $60 down the drain, plus another $90 for the legit pair. SO WHAT DO I DO?? I really don't want to rock fake dunks, and i REALLY want a nice pair of sneakers (nobody here wears vans!! :( Guess it's a coastal thing) but I don't want to waste so much money... :(



On a more serious note, coming back to Boston I've had to readjust. I honestly get along with guys a lot better than girls...and thus the groups of friends I had back at home were all guys and I had separate good girl friends from everywhere else. Here, it's the complete opposite. I have a few group of girl friends, and a few good guy friends in between. Now, I'm not saying that I don't like the girl friends I have, but seriously, it is too much estrogen. I miss guy humor. I miss video games. I miss the chill vibe, no drama, no screaming, no crazy antics. SIGH. Still on the search for good friends in general....I forget a lot that the people that I'm leaving in California, that I had at least 4 years to handpick them. Connections like that don't appear in a semester.


I miss the sun, I miss a lot of things but I'm still going to be okay. :)

1 Responses to Happy New Years!

  1. Dad Says:

    Happy Chinese New Year (Year of OX) and take good care of yourself.

    Dad