Suspended Between

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 1:10 PM
I need to get some sleep.

I keep dozing off at random moments and suddenly I feel my consciousness ripping away from my surroundings and for a brief second or two or three, I am no longer in a stuffy classroom but at a bus stop, or running through the woods, or listening to my teacher from an alternate reality lecture in nonexistent languages. During these strange few moments, I am suspended in between two worlds-the physical one that binds me to this earth and the fantastical one that flies me away into the whirling imaginations of my mind. I am at once conscious yet dreaming, and during these lucid moments I have the choice of either continuing on my just-begun adventure or yanking myself out of, well I suppose out of myself, and back into awakening.

This is what falling asleep feels like to me. That strange limbo in which I always want to press onwards into my dreams and yet sometimes, even when I am safely and rightly in my pajamas in my own soft bed, my consciousness jerks awake for some unknown reason and then my eyes are wide open, staring but now actually seeing. Other times I am awakened by some loud noise or the realization that yes, I am in class, and the meager beginnings of whatever exciting hallucination that might have been flits away from the edges of my awareness, leaving me with a vague impression of having just teleported back from the bus stop that takes me to my dreams.

I can't wait to board whatever bus is waiting for me tonight.

0 comments