Music and Drugs and Something More

Monday, August 4, 2008 at 12:33 AM
In preparation for my trip to Taiwan, I went music-crazy and downloaded all these albums that my friends recommended...including Steve Aoki, Vampire Weekend, Girl Talk, Ok Go, Crystal Castles, and the Midnight Juggernauts, among others. The entire duration of my stay in Taiwan I had my Recently Added playlist on repeat, which was very pleasant and set a pretty sweet soundtrack to the the city. I tend to like really creepy songs...(please, at this point, look up Noah's Ark by Coco Rosie) and I don't know. Songs that make you feel something...even if I don't know what it is. But as I shuffle slowly through these songs whose singers' voices MEAN something to me and seem to be calling out for something more, it makes me appreciate music all over again.

Over the past year, substances (illegal and otherwise) seem to have crept into my life more than I ever thought possible. For me, everything in moderation seems to be okay...except very few people seem to know where that line is. Perhaps it's because it's summer and people just generally have a lot more money (sometimes) and time and in Cupertino, there really isn't that much to do if you don't try hard to keep yourself occupied. Oftentimes, everybody is too lazy to try, to poor, or just too unwilling. I don't know what to do about this. What can I do when everybody around me just sinks into the convenience of some substance that makes the hours fly by....everyday? It's weird, how this is a problem now. What happened to good, sober fun? However, I can't say that I am squeaky clean either, so who am I to pass judgment here?

Which brings me to my last point. I want something more out of my life than what I and apparently everybody else is settling for. I want to be satisfied with my life, and I don't want to waste any bit of it. There's so much out there, and I want to better myself and not accept anything less, from myself or others. How do you improve the quality of life? I'm not sure...we work hard, we play hard, and just...I don't even know anymore. Haha...I don't know. It's hard to get frustrated at a lifestyle that even I perpetuate...Is it possible to not be a hypocrite?





I want everything to work out amicably, if not the way planned, and for people to just be happy...substances unnecessary.

0 comments