A Breath of Air

Monday, April 6, 2009 at 8:58 AM
So now that my (minor) hell week is over, I'm finally getting a chance to chill, not feel stressed, and just enjoy where I am and what I'm doing. The past two weeks have been pretty up and down, but no big :) This is going to be a giant two week recap, so bear with me haha. I will attempt to make it brief.

So during the last week of march, I had 3 midterms, caked a friend for her birthday, went to lots of culture club events (butter beef night, documentary showings, bbq, etc. :D), and went to a friend's art show. 2 of my midterms were on that Thursday, and due to the caking of my friend, I didn't get back to my room until 1 AM Wednesday night..or is that Thursday morning?? Once I got to my room, I proceeded to realize that I had spilled vitamin water all in my bag...and thus now my ipod is broken, making this the 3rd or 4th apple victim in my destruction of all things electronics. Some days, everything I touch just dies (:(). The prospect of another $200 down the drain is semi-disheartening, but the idea of a cute purple nano in my pocket is kind of exciting.

That friday was also the Ben Folds and Lupe Fiasco concert. A band called Jukebox the Ghost opened for the two of them, and they were so good!! We had gotten 3rd row seats because of our good friend who started waiting in line at 4:30 (the doors opened at 7...he's nuts.) so acoustics were great. All the acts were amazing live and were all so charismatic, and it was really a good show. The Jukebox the Ghost pianist/singer sounded so much like some other big name (the who escapes me at the moment...) and he had the funniest hand gestures and mannerisms. Ben Folds is also amazing at piano, and Lupe also sounded great. We baked brownies beforehand so that might've helped with the fun.

It's been pretty busy the past week because I was in another culture show for my friend's club, and I got put into the hardest dance, Thai Bamboo. Basically, it's the dance where they clap long bamboo sticks on the ground and the dancers have to dance through them...A hard task for males, in particular, especially those who have no sense of rhythm. It didn't help that our choreographer wasn't that familiar with the dance either, and we had to keep canceling practice for various reasons and we were always missing people when we finally had to practice. Lots of smashed fingers and bruised ankles and feet and loud noises equals a lot of stress. The show is finally over now, and all is said and done and the afterparty was fun, so oh well.

So I'm running for CSA culture chair next year, which basically means if I win I'd be in charge of the culture show and other cultural events. At first I wanted to run because I really like the performing arts and I wanted to get involved, but I'm kind of having second thoughts about it. Don't get me wrong, I definitely still want to be involved but there's been a lot of drama within eboards (executive boards, aka the officers) and between the culture clubs, and I'm just feeling a little apprehensive about elections, which are tomorrow. I also wanted to get involved with SEASA though, so I guess if I don't get culture chair it won't be too bad...Whatever happens happens! More on this later, and my thoughts on things I want to accomplish before I graduate.

I think one thing that I've learned (or had reiterated) in college is that it is so much easier to face your problems head on. Backstabbing, gossiping, all this beating around the bush just makes everything worse. Confront the problem, be honest, and things have a tendency to work out...for me at least haha. If that advice ruins anybody's life, I'm terribly sorry. We're all growing up, why shouldn't we be able to talk things out without getting offended?? I feel like the big picture is so much more important now...wasting your breath over petty things just isn't worth it.

Other things...Dancing is coming back into my life, and it feels great :) I'm getting my flexibility back after not stretching for a semester; I can do the splits again!! YAY hahaha. Now that I'm not sick, I can also start going to the practice rooms again to keep singing. I really miss organied dance and singing, but oh well :/ My life would be SO different if I'd made an acapella group...so weird to think about haha. College is time to take charge of your own life though I suppose, so that's what I'm going to do :) Education, extra-curriculars, and everything! (ALLITERATION YAY)

Feeling better, but more thoughts to come. There's so much to look forward to!

0 comments