Thoughts on Life as of Late

Saturday, September 13, 2008 at 3:41 PM
I am really tired of being labeled. I mean, of course though, if I didnt enjoy the football game it's because a girl and i couldn't possibly care even an ounce about the sport, if I hang out with all asians then we're invading and if I don't hang out with asians then I'm the token asian girl, or whitewashed. This is something that irritates me to no end. Last night, a couple of friends and I (we all happen to be asian, yes) were grabbing some food before a concert and we proceeded to the only 4 seats left in the cafeteria, that happened to be next to a humongous table of asians. as we attempted to sit down, the girl next to us told us that one of the seats were taken, so no big deal, my friend went to find a chair to pull up to the table. As he left, the girl's friend said, "Oh wait they can sit there, our friends can just sit next to us," to which the first girl replied, "Oh, oh well whatever, asians are invading anyway," as she glanced pointedly at the table next to us while gathering the empty box of the highly overpriced shitty sushi that our cafeteria sells, which she probably thought was the best sushi she's ever had in her life.

This is not the first time that this has happened while I was with that group of friends, and I am damn sure it won't be the last. I never knew that this would be a problem here. Our school is actually quite diverse, which I've touched on before anyway, but of course, that just means that asians are invading. White people usually hang out in groups too, and the same with black kids. But if asians do it, then it's suddenly not okay, and we get whispers and not so quiet comments on our ethnicity as we walk through campus. It's fucking ridiculous, and actually really bothers me. It's really sad how in this day and age, at this type of school, that is still a problem. But anyway...


So I didn't make a capella, or dance ensemble, unsurprisingly. Another surprising fact...If you are not amazing at what you like to do, then you have barely any opportunities to do it. Where am I supposed to dance b/c I am not a hip hop star, or a primo ballerina? When can I sing if I did not make a group? Maybe it's just because the things I enjoy are all audition-required here, but I am kind of disappointed. I hope I find somewhere to go, and something to do with all my free time. Maybe this is the time to learn how to play ultimate frisbee, har-har.

On another note, UC kids are leaving soon too. Weird!!! Everybody has had an extra month, and now it's their turn to frantically pack and be nervous and excited and what not. College is not the great perpetual funfest it seems to be, but that does not mean that it is unenjoyable either. Probably just me, but I have been really moody here....maybe not for any particular reason but a mix of several, I think. There was a concert for The Roots yesterday though, which was really fun, except my throat hurt when I woke up this morning, and I did not regain my hearing for quite awhile after we got out. I came back to my room last night after the concert like a good girl so I wouldn't be tired for dance auditions this morning, but tonight is a new night with no obligations tomorrow to keep me in!!! Fun ahead, hopefully.

0 comments